The Placenta: A world to discover

During my Doula training in 2011, one of the things I had to do was to choose a subject that related to birth, and write a research project about it. I immediately thought of one thing: The Placenta.

During the summer of 2011, I spent two months in Ubud, Bali, and had the chance to visit The Bumi Sehat Clinic, a birth center created by midwife Robin Lim. I wanted to do something for them, so I bought a book written by Robin Lim entitled: Placenta, The Forgotten Chakra. This book completely blew my mind. There is so much still unknown by most about the placenta, and I personally had never questioned myself over it. It is a fabulous living organ with wonderful properties, and after learning so much, I can't believe it is still considered as medical waste in our society.

So when the time came to choose my research subject, I already knew what it was going to be. I just HAD to share all the precious information I had learned during the previous summer.


The Placenta: More Than Just an Organ

For centuries, and everywhere across the world, the placenta has been worshipped, revered, was considered magical, was treated as the newborn's twin brother, or as his guardian Angel. We treated it with respect and organized (still today in some cultures) lavish rituals to welcome it, thanking it for it's protective and nurturing role in the child's life, and either burying it or eating it. Nowadays, in our modern societies, the placenta is treated as nothing more than medical waste, and most people are kept in ignorance of it's wonderful properties. The goal of this research work is to discover what exactly this fascinating and important organ is and can do, and to try to find some non-violent ways to treat it, for the benefit of the mother and newborn.

(...)

This article is translated from my french Doula blog: http://babillagesaveclaurie.blogspot.com so If you can read french and want to read the rest they are all under the label ''Placenta''. You can also ask me for my whole research, in a PDF document, also in french. I will eventually translate the rest of it on this blog, so stay tuned!  


Have a nice day!

Comments